In this video Head Coach, Adrian Ball, covers the Barbell Deadlift. The Barbell Deadlift is a fantastic exercise for the overall development of the lower body including the Glutes, Quadriceps and Hamstrings.
- Step up to and under a barbell with your feet angled slightly outward, at hip-width apart.
- Bend over and grip the barbell with both hands at shoulder width.
- Bend your knees until the bar almost touches your shins, we would suggest a gap of around an inch. Try positioning the bar over the top of your shoelaces.
- With a neutral spine, flex your glutes (bum) and brace your stomach.
- Pick the bar up off the ground (It helps to think about pressing down into the floor with your feet through your heels).
- Continue pressing down with your legs until the barbell passes your knees, then push your hips forward until you are standing up straight.
- Reverse your movement until the bar returns to its starting place on the ground.
- Repeat for Repetitions.
It’s important to keep our core braces throughout the entire movement, keeping our back in a safe position throughout, see the video for more information. Check out the other leg movements we have available on the site by simply selecting “Legs” in the categories.